The UK is one of Canada’s most important trading partners and leading export markets. Jet Worldwide provides low-cost Canadian parcel shipping solutions for delivery to London, Manchester and all of the UK. Jet Worldwide provides the best shipping options from Canada to the UK.
In this blog, we'll review:
- Carrier shipping options from Canada to the UK
- Shipping terms to consider
- HM Customs clearance processes and costs
- Shopify, eBay VAT collection for orders shipped to the UK from Canada
- Shipping Canadian Shopify orders to the UK and the EU
- See below: Information required for a shipping quote
- Shipping personal effects from Canada to the UK
Jet Worldwide provides parcel shipping from Montreal, Toronto and all of Canada for delivery to the UK, including the entire island of Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales) and Northern Ireland.
Free Trade Between Canada and the UK: From CETA to TCA:
Canada and the UK announced an agreement to continue the preferential duty-free status enjoyed under the CETA following Brexit via the UK-Canada Trade Continuity Agreement (TCA).
Jet Worldwide shares our logistics expertise (via our industry leading blog articles) and global parcel shipping solutions: Including shipping to the UK. For professional insights, a comparison quote or "out of the box" solution, Contact Jet's logistics professionals.
UK Most Favoured Nation For Canadian Origin Versus UKTCA
The UK Most Favoured Nation (MFN) tariff rates are the default duties applied to imports from all countries to the UK, including Canada. Under the Canada-UK Trade Continuity Agreement (UKTCA) Canadian origin goods may qualify for a preferential -duty free - tariff.
- Tariff preferences under UKTCA apply to goods imported from Canada that meet the rules of origin under this agreement.
- The MFN tariff rates of The European Union apply to goods imported from Canada that do not meet the rules of origin (non-originating goods) under UKTCA.
Shipping via Shopify, eBay and other online platforms to the UK
The United Kingdom now requires that VAT be prepaid when sold via online and shipped to the UK.
- See section below regarding shipping online orders to the UK
- Learn about prepaid VAT for online orders shipped to the UK.
- If you are also shipping online orders to Germany, France and other European Union countries, read about VAT collection for online orders to Europe.
- Contact Jet's logistics team for updates on developing new parcel shipping options for online orders from Canada and USA. to the UK and EU.
Parcel delivery options
Shipping to the United Kingdom via Canada Post
Canada Post's "Small Packet" service offers the lowest-cost option for individuals sending small parcels to the UK. Canada Post shipments to London, Manchester, Glasgow and the UK are imported and delivered by Royal Mail.
Canadian e-commerce shippers using Shopify can also benefit from Jet's low-cost option for shipping parcels direct to the UK from Canada.
Canada Post delivery services to the United Kingdom Include:
For shipping packets to the UK under 2 kg / 4 lbs:
- Canada Post Small Packet Surface, Air and "Tracked Packet"
For shipping parcels to the United Kingdom:
- Canada Post Parcel Surface : Uncertain delivery time
- Canada Post Parcel: Delivery usually in 2 weeks
- Canada Post Xpresspost: Delivery within 1 week
Shipping to the UK via FedEx Canada and UPS Canada
FedEx and UPS are North America's largest carriers and, along with DHL, offer reliable express delivery from Canada to the UK.
FedEx and UPS shipping UK from Canada options include:
- Priority international air express delivery to the UK
- Economy international air economy delivery
- Get a quote for shipping pallets and parcels between UK and Canada
Shipping to the UK via Purolator Canada
Purolator Courier is a leading Canadian domestic carrier. Purolator provides delivery to the UK via partner carriers such as UPS.
Delivery between the UK and Canada via Jet Worldwide
- Jet Worldwide: A trusted brand offering international shipping for over 35 years!
- Jet Worldwide offers options for shipping between the UK and Canada for parcels, pallets, and online orders (with Shopify integration)
- Jet Worldwide offers transparency and logistics support. We are not shy to recommend alternative options that are better suited for your needs.
Shipping terms to consider when shipping to the UK
The default option for shipping internationally from Canada is Delivery Duty Unpaid (DDU). Common carriers use the term Ex Works (EXW) which essentially assigns all import related costs (duty, taxes and other fees) to the receiver/importer. Shippers from Canada can choose to pay the import fees on behalf of the receiver via a Delivery Duty Paid (DDP) options that many carriers offer. The disadvantage of paying import fees on behalf of the receiver is that the bulk of the import fees are often from a value added tax that the importing business may otherwise be able to claim back.
See our blog on Incoterms and shipping terms for packages and online orders.
Clearance information Canada to UK shipments
Goods shipped to the UK must be accompanied by an invoice for customs or other supporting documents.
Below is some useful information on HM Revenue and the customs clearance processes for shipping parcels from Canada to the UK.
The information is provided for general reference only as UK customs regulations are subject to change. Confirm compliance with regulatory authorities and professionals prior to shipping.
Sending parcels from Canada to the UK requires clearly defined commodity descriptions and value. UK customs considers the transaction value to include Cost, Insurance and Freight (CIF). When sending international shipments to the UK, ensure the commercial invoice includes a clear description of the item(s) being sent and the reason for export. Also, it should be noted that the value is a “CIF Value.”
Duty-free status for low-value parcels
Companies who send low-value international shipments from Montreal to the United Kingdom can take advantage of the “de-minimus limit” for relief from payment of customs duty below £135.
For imports of “negligible value”
- Up to £135: Exempt from duty. VAT is assessed
- Over £135 (around CAD 230): Both Duty and VAT are assessed
For imports valued under £135, the term "import vat" has been replaced with "supply VAT." This new term reflects the idea that VAT is not longer collected at time of import but rather than from the supplier. Contact Jet's logistics team to start shipping your online orders direct to the UK from Canada and the USA.
Duty rates: shipping UK from Canada
UK customs duty rates vary from duty-free for most electronics, such as computers, tablets and cameras to 4% duty for electronic accessories (10% for accessories with batteries) and 12% for clothing, shoes and other fashion items.
HM Revenue and Customs enforce the mandate of declaring the actual value. When shipping to the UK, you should include supporting documents that might be needed in case UK Customs challenges the declared value. UK customs uses the CIF Value for assessing duty.
For valuation of your package to the UK, the most common method is the use the package's "transaction value." Simply, what you paid or sold for the item is what should be declared to customs.
For online orders shipped to the UK, the imported value for purposes of the £135 low value threshold is the value of the total of all the items being shipped or the "consignment value."
The commercial invoice value (transaction value) is usually accepted as the normal price, but if a preferential arrangement has been established between the overseas supplier and the importer, or an unrealistic value has been declared, HM Revenue and Customs reserves the right to assess a fair market value for duty purposes.
Sending parcels containing samples
Companies who send sample shipments should be aware of the criteria necessary to qualify for exemption from duty and VAT:
- Sample goods must have been “mutilated”.
- The commercial invoice must clearly note that the item is a mutilated sample and not for resale.
- An alternative to mutilated samples is for the item(s) to be clearly marked as “sample” in indelible ink.
- Only single samples of each style will be considered. If shoes, only one shoe can be sent.
Sending Shopify , eBay and online orders from Canada to the UK
Sellers exporting from Canada to the UK should note that e-commerce platforms - such as Shopify, eBay and Bigcommerce - are responsible for collecting VAT directly from Canadian sellers. The UK VAT arrangement applies Value Added Tax for all online orders from Canada to the UK individuals**. Read about prepaid VAT requirement for shipping to the UK.
Sellers are required to register and collect UK VAT for orders* valued up to £135 (approximately $220 CAD). The value of £135 covers only the value of the goods (i.e. transaction value) and excludes shipping costs.
As noted above, imports valued under £135, the term "import vat" has been replaced with "supply VAT" to reflect the requirement that VAT be paid at time of checkout from the online platform rather than from the supplier. Contact Jet's logistics team to start shipping your online orders direct to the UK from Canada and the USA.
The basic rules for VAT collection for UK orders from Canada:
- Shipping platforms are required by UK Customs to collect VAT for orders shipped to the UK valued under £135.
- For Goods valued over £135, the collection will be made from the receiver at the time of import.
* Package value versus individual orders
The rules related to the collection of VAT apply to the value of the package being sent, not to individual orders or items in the package.
** Shipping from Canada to UK Businesses
The online marketplace must charge and account for VAT at the point of sale, unless the consignment is a business to business sale and the customer has given their UK VAT registration number. If shipping to registered business, the businesses UK VAT registration number must be noted on the invoice. Sellers can verify the businesses UK VAT number using the following website: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-vat-number.
A sample VAT statement for orders to UK registered businesses: "Customer to account for VAT to HMRC: UK business customer: _______"
Sellers from Canada are required to keep records to ensure the correct application of VAT. Shippers should be aware that the UK's default Value Added Tax rate is 20% but less for some items, including books, food and Childrens clothes.
Canadian shipping platforms such as Shopify, BigCommerce and Shopify had added functionality to facilitate this change. eBay will add VAT for all sales made by Canadian sellers to the UK based on the final sale amount. Sellers can change the default VAT % applied by eBay if, for example, the VAT was already included in their price.
Added VAT and the need for Lower Delivery Cost to the UK
Contact Jet’s team to stay informed on our new shipping options to the UK and EU. Having a fully tracking low cost shipping option to the UK is more important than ever to offset the application of VAT and other costs.
Sending parcels to the UK containing commercial samples
Companies who wish to send an international shipment to the United Kingdom containing commercial samples or “Salesman’s Samples” should clearly note so on their commercial invoice. The importation of such samples may qualify for duty relief but may be subject to special handling, such as a Temporary Import. Such special procedures will result in extra clearance costs and potential delays.
Sending parcels to the UK containing personal gifts
Articles sent as "Unsolicited gifts" are acceptable and will be allowed entry free of any duty or VAT providing the shipment is valued under £40 / CAD 70, consigned to an individual and is individually wrapped. The parcel may contain multiple gifts as long as the individual parcels enclosed are individually tagged with the recipient's name, are individually wrapped and the value does not exceed the per person limit of £40 (around CAD 70).
Shipments consigned to companies as gifts for an individual may be denied entry as gifts and will be subject to full duty and VAT.
To qualify for duty-free or tax-free status, the gift:
- Must be clearly described on the commercial invoice (a common error is when shippers describe the item only as a “gift” without specifying what the item itself is)
- Under £40 (around CAD 70)
- Does not contain restricted goods and are of a “non-commercial character.”
- Be addressed to a private individual (rather than a company)
- Items subject to excise tax, such as cigarettes, perfume, toilet water and alcohol should be avoided. These are only accepted in limited quantities and are often forbidden for transport by courier.
Parcel distribution to the UK and the EU
Jet Worldwide offers bulk HM Customs clearance, warehousing, pick/pack and low-cost ground delivery solutions to the UK and across Europe. Jet Worldwide has distribution solutions to the EU via the UK with bonded transfer and EU based euro domestic distribution.
Ship your online orders direct to the UK from Canada and the USA via Jet:
- Low per last mile delivery cost delivery cost to the UK
- Full tracking
- Integrated clearance with no charges to the consignee
Contact our team for information on UK and European shipping and last mile delivery solutions.
Getting a spot quote for shipping between the UK and Canada.
Jet Worldwide gives access to all companies seeking shipping quotes from Canada to the UK for parcels pallets, and online orders. For a quote, please provide:
- Your company name and contact details
- Ship from Address
- Ship To Address
- Weight and dimensions of each piece
- Item(s) being sent
Shipping Canadian Shopify Orders to the UK and the EU
Jet Worldwide is developing international shipping solutions for Shopify, Canada's leading e-commerce platform. Building on Jet Worldwide’s decades of Canadian cross-border parcel shipping experience, our team is currently developing Shopify-integrated solutions for shipping to the United Kingdom and the entire European Union, allowing businesses to “self-fulfill” their orders.
For updates on the latest international shipping solutions for Canadian online orders, connect with Jet Worldwide’s e-commerce team.
Shipping personal effects to the UK
When shipping personal effects to the UK, the goods must first be approved by HM Customs (via a unique number) prior to shipping.
Shipping of excess baggage: Generally, it is simpler and easier to ship your personal effects as excess baggage when you travel. Carrier excess baggage fees for a couple of bags is most often less expensive than shipping separately without having to manage separate entry requirements.
Shipping a box or several boxes: Jet Worldwide provides solutions shipping of international personal effects to UK for shippers who have acquired their unique number (issued by HM Customs).
Shipping a household/ container level: For shipping a full household, it is best to contact a moving specialists to arrange for packing and ocean transport.
Learn more from Jet's Logistics Experts :
- Understanding key concepts for shipping from Canada
- Understanding key concepts for shipping TO Canada
- Prepayment of VAT for online orders shipped to the UK
- Continued Free Trade between Canada and UK - TCA
- Valuation for Goods Shipped to the UK
- Request a call back for your business shipping from Jet's logistics support team
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is for general information only. Producers, shippers, exporters, importers should confirm their processes with their customs brokers, carriers and regulating authorities.