In this blog, we review the Canadian shipping options to Italy, Italian customs processes and explore the possibility of duty-free clearance under the CETA. Canadian companies rely on low-cost shipping to Italy from Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and all Canada.
Canadian exports to Italy total over $2 billion per year and imports from Italy are even greater. With the Canada - European free trade pact, demand for low-cost parcel delivery from Canada to Italy has become more important. Shippers from Canada can realize great benefit from preferential duty-free imports via CETA and Jet's low-cost direct shipping solutions for e-commerce orders to Italy and the E.U.
A few quick points to consider when shipping international from Canada to Italy:
- Canada Post is the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels and personal items internationally to Italy (see service options below).
- Market dominant carriers, such as UPS, FedEx have crazy high base pricing but discounted shipping can be obtained via resellers who provide "comparison quotes" between carriers retail pricing.
- Jet's logistics professionals will personally respond to your inquiry within 1 business day sharing our expertise and helping you find the right solution (we freely recommend alternative carriers and methods that may better suite your needs). Ask Jet.
- Ecommerce shippers usually need a much lower cost than can be provided by traditional shipping methods and need direct shipping solutions (visit our ecommerce page).
This post provides a deeper dive and explores of the main elements of international shipping between Canada and Italy:
- Shipping carrier options from Canada to Italy
- Shipping terms to consider
- Italian customs clearance for parcels imported Italy from Canada
- IOSS and VAT payment for ecommerce imports to Italy
- Shipping Canadian e-commerce online orders to Italy and the EU
- Duty-free clearance for Canada origin goods under the CETA
- Common carrier options shipping Canada from Italy
- Canadian import fees for shipments from Italy
- Duty-free import for Italian origin goods to Canada via the CETA
- CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management portal (CARM)
- Information required for a spot quote to Italy
- Additional resources for shipping from Canada and shipping to Canada
Jet Worldwide provides low-cost International shipping from Montreal, Toronto GTA, Vancouver and all of Canada to Rome, Milan and all of Italy.
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is for general information only and is not intended to, constitute legal and/or tax advice. Producers, shippers, exporters, importers should confirm their processes with their customs brokers, carriers and regulating authorities. All liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this site are hereby expressly disclaimed. The content on this posting is provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.
Carrier Shipping Options to Italy From Canada
Shipping to Italy via Canada Post
The lowest-cost option for individuals shipping small parcels to Italy is Canada Post packet services. Shipments sent to Italy via Canada Post are imported and delivered by Poste Italiane.
Shipping options to Italy from Canada Post:
- International "packet" to Italy: Surface, Air and "Tracked Packet"
- International parcel post to Italy: surface (lowest cost)
- Xpresspost to Italy: Delivery in within 2 weeks
Shipping to Italy via FedEx and UPS Canada
FedEx and UPS are the largest international carriers from Canada and , along with DHL, provide quality express shipping Italy from Canada. However, FedEx Canada and UPS Canada can be expensive for small Canadian companies shipping to Italy.
FedEx and UPS Canada shipping options to Italy include:
- International Air express/ Priority shipping for delivery to Italy in 2-3 day.
- International Air Economy shipping to Italy in 3- 4 days
- See below: Information required for a spot quote shipping between Italy and Canada
Shipping to Italy via Jet Worldwide
- Jet Worldwide: A trusted brand providing international shipping for over 35 years!
- Jet Worldwide provides solutions for shipping parcels, pallet and online orders to Italy from Montreal, Toronto and across Canada and USA.
- Jet Worldwide offers transparent logistics support and consultancy. We are not shy about recommending alternative solutions as best for our clients.
PDF Presentation of Jet's Solutions for shipments to the EU
Parcel shipping for delivery to Italy via Purolator Canada
Purolator is a leading parcel delivery company in Canada. For international parcel shipping to Italy from Canada, they use other carriers such as UPS.
Shipping terms to consider when shipping to Italy
The default option for shipping internationally from Canada is Delivery Duty Unpaid (DDU). Common carriers use the term Ex Works (EXW) which essentially assigns all import related costs (duty, taxes and other fees) to the receiver/importer. Shippers from Canada can choose to pay the import fees on behalf of the receiver via a Delivery Duty Paid (DDP) options that many carriers offer.
The disadvantage of paying import fees on behalf of the receiver is that the bulk of the import fees are often from a value added tax that the importing business may otherwise be able to claim back
Shipping Canadian e-commerce to Italy and the EU
Jet Worldwide is developing international shipping solutions for Shopify, Canada's leading e-commerce platform. Building on Jet Worldwide’s decades of Canadian cross-border parcel shipping experience, our team is currently developing Shopify-integrated solutions for shipping to Italy and the entire European Union, allowing businesses to “self-fulfill” their orders.
Orders shipped to Italy (and all European Union countries) valued under €150 (around CA$220) can be imported EU duty free but VAT will be assessed and should be charged at checkout.
See section below regarding IOSS and payment of VAT for ecommerce imports to Italy.
Among the main changes are provisions for online marketplaces to be deemed the "supplier." As a supplier, the online marketplace will be held responsible for collection of VAT for online orders of up to €150. This new process, referred to as the Import One Stop Shop (IOSS). See section below.
Parcel clearance for parcels shipped Italy from Canada:
Parcel shipping to Italy is similar to most other European countries. Italian customs requires an invoice for customs - or similar supporting document and bases duty on the CIF Value (value of the goods plus insurance and shipping).
Some restrictions and items of note include:
- Sending audio/video cassettes and tapes to Italy? The length and width of the tape, a brief synopsis of the content and the reason for exportation;
- For sending clothing and other textiles to Italy: The fabric breakdown, whether knit or woven and, for clothing articles, the marketed gender. When sending textile samples, the words "mutilated samples" or " marked samples, not for resale" must be marked on the goods themselves and noted on the commercial invoice.
- Sending Software on flash drives to Italy: The value of software must be shown separately from software support.
How are duty and taxes assessed for parcels sent from Canada to Italy?
As Canada is outside the EU, formal customs processes apply for parcel importing to Italy. Canadian goods being imported to Italy may benefit from lower duty when the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).
- Sending parcels to Italy valued less than €150: Duty free but VAT is applied (see not above related to online sales via Shopify, eBay and other online platforms)
- Duty and VAT are applied to shipments valued over €150.
The standard VAT rate to Italy is 22%. Lower VAT rates may apply to certain items (such as books).
See section below regarding VAT payment for ecommerce imports to Italy.
VAT Rules for Imports to Italy and the European Union
For online commerce shipped direct to Italy- and not for EU distribution- registration with IOSS is not necessary. Contact Jet's team for ecommerce warehousing, distribution and logistics support to Italy.
VAT Rules for Imports to the European Union
All goods imported to the EU are subject to VAT. E-commerce shipments valued under EUR 150 can be imported via One-Stop Shop (IOSS) processes that allow sellers and online marketplaces to charge VAT at the point of sale and remit it directly to the authorities.
For details on IOSS and the otherEU’s VAT rules, visit: Publications Office of the European Union.
Shipping commercial samples to Italy from Canada
Samples sent Italy may qualify for duty-free entry if they are valued under 22 euros and under 3 kg in weight. No more than 5 items can be sent and they must be for a solicitation of an order represented by the sample.
Sending textile / designer samples to Italy
Fabric samples/swatches are a common item sent from Montreal to Italy. The samples can be imported free of duty and VAT. The commercial invoice for sending apparel samples should include:
- The style number of each sample appear on the commercial documents.
- The product description.
- The intent of the shipper that the goods are intended as samples.
Canadian goods shipped Italy duty free via the CETA
Regarding duty free eligibility under the CETA: Country origin rules are associated with factors used to determine if the product is eligible for preferential duty free treatment under the CETA.
Fortunately for shipping Canada origin goods to Italy, the CETA rules don’t require a formal certificate in order to obtain tariff benefits. A declaration on the invoice or any other commercial document accompanying the shipment is enough.
The CETA country of origin declaration has a specific wording, which is fairly straightforward (check with up to date regulations before shipping).
Required CETA country of origin declaration can include the following
The CETA origin declaration to Italy from Canada must include the following wording. Footnotes are provided for explanation (but do not meant to be included in the required wording). The origin declaration, the text of which is given below, must be completed in accordance with the footnotes (see below).
CETA Country of Origin Declaration
As mentioned above, there is no Certificate of Origin / COO required for goods shipped from Canada under the CETA. An origin declaration can be shown on the commercial invoice. If shown on a separate document, the invoice number and other shipping information should be referenced.
When an invoice lists separate items, the declaration of origin must clearly identify the goods in in which preferential duty treatment is requested. The Canadian Border Services Agency recommends that the origin declaration states “Canada/EU” as per footnote 3 of the declaration (see below). It is best to check with Italian customs importing country to understand their preferences are met.
Shipping Canada From Italy
The common carrier options to Canada from Italy include FedEx, UPS, DHL and the Italian Post. Poste Italiane is the preferred option for individuals shipping small packages and personal items to canada.
FedEx and UPS Shipping Options Canada from Italy include:
- Express Air priority shipping to Canada
- Economy Air deferred shipping from Italy
Canadian Import Fees for Shipments from Italy
Common import fees for consignments shipped via air to Canada can include duty, taxes, and carrier fees.
Simplified origin statement for shipping Canada from Italy
The value for duty amount for all of Canada's free trade agreements (including the CETA) for which the proof of origin / certificate of origin is waived was changed to CA$3,300 in July 2020. This change was made to harmonize the regulations with the new NAFTA.
For imports not exceeding CA$3,300 to Canada, the requirement for proof of origin is waived. The requirement on the importer to maintain records (for example, commercial invoice and B3) applies even if the CBSA does not require a certification of origin or if a requirement for a certification of origin has been waived.
CARM for Importing to Canada
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM) portal streamlines the process of importing commercial goods.
Get a quote for shipping between Italy and Canada
Jet Worldwide gives access to all companies seeking for spot quotes shipping between Canada and Italy for parcels, pallets, online orders (Shopify integration).
The information required for a quote includes:
Your company name and contact details
Ship from Address
Ship To Address
Weight and dimensions of each piece
Item(s) being sent
Contact Jet: If you are seeking pricing for regular shipping volumes to Italy and the EU, helpful details include actual and projected volume of shipments, item(s) commonly shipped, common shipment weight and dimensions, origin of shipments and and common destinations.
Reminder: The information in Jet Worldwide's online content - including this post - is for general information only and provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.