Colombia and Canada are experiencing greater trade relations thanks to the Canada-Colombia Free Trade Agreement and Colombia's political stability. Canadian firms are a major investor and supplier of goods and services to Colombia and depend on reliable low-cost parcel delivery. Canadian goods to Colombia exceed $700 million dollars per year.
Jet Worldwide Canada provides low-cost parcel shipping from Montreal, Toronto and all of Canada for delivery to Bogota, Medellin, and all Colombia.
Tips for shipping from Canada to Colombia:
- When sending to Columbia be sure that the address is complete and that a contact name and phone number is included.
- Postal codes in Colombia were recently developed and you are unlikely to see them listed on a Colombian address. However, you will need to know the postal code before shipping your Canadian origin parcel to Colombia.
- Canada Post provides the lowest price for Individuals shipping small parcels
- See section below: Information required for shipping quote between Colombia_and Canada
In this post, we review the following things to consider when shipping between Canada and Colombia
- Common carrier shipping options to Colombia from Canada
- Shipping terms to consider delivery duty paid or unpaid when shipping to Colombia
- Import clearance to Colombia and Colombian Canadian Free Trade Agreement
- Common Carrier options for shipping to Canada
- Canadian import process for consignments from Colombia
- Common import fees charged in Canada for imports from Colombia
- Duty free import to Canada for Colombian origin goods
- Canadian customs assessment and revenue management system (CARM)
- Information required for a shipping quote between Colombia and Canada
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is for general information only and is not intended to, constitute legal and/or tax advice. Producers, shippers, exporters, importers should confirm their processes with their customs brokers, carriers and regulating authorities. All liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this site are hereby expressly disclaimed. The content on this posting is provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.
A few quick points to consider when shipping international between Canada and Colombia
- Canada Post is the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels and personal items to Colombia: See Canada Post international shipping options below.
- Market dominant carriers, such as UPS, FedEx have crazy high base pricing. Discounted shipping can be obtained via "comparison quotes reseller sites" but discounted retail can still be expensive and such sites lack support, logistics expertise and ability to import.
- Jet's logistics professionals will personally respond to your inquiry within 1 business day sharing our expertise and helping you find the right solution. Ask Jet.
- Ecommerce shippers usually need a much lower cost than can be provided by traditional shipping methods and need direct shipping solutions (visit our ecommerce page).
Shipping terms to consider when shipping to Colombia
The default option for shipping internationally from Canada is Delivery Duty Unpaid (DDU). Common carriers use the term Ex Works (EXW) which essentially assigns all import-related costs (duty, taxes, and other fees) to the receiver/ importer. Shippers from Canada can choose to pay the import fees on behalf of the receiver via a Delivery Duty Paid (DDP) options that many carriers offer.
The disadvantage of paying import fees on behalf of the receiver is that the bulk of the import fees are often from a value added tax that the importing business may otherwise be able to claim back. See section below on import process and fees to Colombia.
Parcel delivery to Colombia via Canada Post
The lowest-cost shipping option from Canada for delivery to Bogota, Medellin and Cali is via Canada Post. Canada Post is the preferred option that we recommend for individuals shipping international small parcels and personal items from Canada.
Goods shipped via Canada Post to Colombia are imported and delivered to Colombia postal carrier, 4-72.
Canada Post delivery options to Colombia include:
- Canada Post small packet surface and air options to Colombia
- Canada Post international parcel to Colombia: surface, air
- See section below: Information required for shipping quote to Colombia
Shipping to Colombia via UPS or FedEx
FedEx and UPS are North America's largest carriers and offer. along with DHL, reliable express delivery from Canada to Colombia.
FedEx and UPS Shipping Colombia from Canada services include:
- International express priority shipping to Colombia
- International economy air shipping Colombia from Canada
Delivery to Colombia from Canada via Jet Worldwide
- Jet Worldwide: A trusted brand offering international shipping for over 35 years!
- Jet Worldwide offers options for shipping between Colombia and Canada for parcels, pallets, and ecommerce from Canada and USA.
Jet Worldwide offers transparency and logistics support. We are not shy to recommend alternative options that are better suited for your needs. For a quote for shipping online orders or regular volumes, provide details including shipping volume, item(s) being shipped, average value and weight of each parcel. The more details the better :).
Shipping to Colombia via Purolator Courier
Purolator is a leading courier service in Canada and provides international delivery via their partners such as UPS.
Colombian Customs Clearance for items sent from Canada
No matter which delivery method to Colombia you choose, the information below is helpful to ensure your parcel transits through customs without delay or unexpected costs. Include as many details as possible on the invoice for customs.
Importing goods to Colombia for goods shipped from Canada
- Consignments with a declared value is less than $200 USD are subject to a 10% tariff for the declared value of the item(s).
- Consignments imported to Colombia via post or express shipping valued over $200 USD are subject to both the 10% tariff (mentioned above) plus 19% IVA (Value Added Tax). corresponding to CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight) for the imported goods.
- Articles value over $2,000 USD or over 50 kilograms are subject to more formal procedures established by the Colombian customs “decree 2658” rules. Customs tariff applicable on imported goods depend on HS Codes. Common goods - such a clothing, sporting goods, and luggage - are assessed a duty rate of around 15%.
Goods imported duty-free to Colombia from Canada
Goods originating in Canada may qualify for duty-free import under the rules of the Colombian - Canadian Free Trade Agreement. Canadian parcels seeking duty-free import must be accompanied by a certificate of origin and other supporting documents.
The standard rate of tax (value added tax) for goods imported to Colombia is 16% and is applied to all goods - even those qualifying for duty-free entry.
NOTE: When sending to Colombia, we recommend getting approval of the receiver - who will be the actual importer - to ensure the necessary paperwork is included. Jet Worldwide can arrange to have the duty and taxes paid in Canada via our Delivery Duty Paid Service.
Shipping Options from Colombia to Canada
Carriers shipping Options Canada from Colombia include the Colombian postal provider 4-72, North America's mega carriers, FedEX and UPS as well as DHL Jet.
FedEx and UPS Shipping Options to Canada from Colombia include:
- International air express shipping to Canada
- International economy air shipping from Colombia
- For information required for a shipping quote, see section below
Importing Goods to Canada Shipped from Colombia
Goods imported to Canada valued over CA$20 are subject to duty and taxes. Consignments valued under CA$3,300 can be imported via Canada's low value system (LVS).
Colombian origin goods may qualify for preferential duty free entry under Canada- Colombian free trade agreement.
Common import fees for consignments shipped via air to Canada can include duty, tax and carrier fees.
Simplified origin statement for shipping to Canada from Colombia
The value for duty amount for all of Canada's free trade agreements (including the Colombian Canadian Free Trade Agreement) for which the proof of origin / certificate of origin is waived was changed to CAD 3,300 in July 2020. This change was made to harmonize the regulations with the new NAFTA.
For imports not exceeding CAD 3,300 to Canada, the requirement for proof of origin is waived. The requirement on the importer to maintain records (for example, commercial invoice and B3) applies even if the CBSA does not require a certification of origin or if a requirement for a certification of origin has been waived.
CARM: CBSA Online Portal for Canadian Importers
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM) online portal streamlines the process of importing commercial goods to Canada.
Get a quote for shipping between Colombia and Canada
Jet Worldwide gives access to all companies seeking for spot quotes between Canada and Colombia for parcels, pallets, online orders.
Information required for a quote includes:
- Your company name and contact details
- Ship from Address
- Ship To Address
- Weight and dimensions of each piece
- Item(s) being sent
For a quote for shipping online orders or regular volumes, provide details including shipping volume, item(s) being shipped, average value and weight of each parcel. The more details the better :).
Learn more About Jet Worldwide
Reminder: The information in this blog is for general information only. Producers, shippers, exporters, importers should confirm their processes with their customs brokers, carriers and regulating authorities.