Relations between Canada and Portugal are supported by a large Canadian community of Portuguese . Canadian- Portuguese relations also extend to the thousands of Canadians who live in Portugal. Businesses can take advantage of the duty free status of Canada origin goods and rely on low cost shipping to Portugal.
Jet Worldwide provides innovative shipping Portugal from Canada and logistics support for pallets, parcels and ecommerce orders.
A few quick points to consider when shipping international between Canada and Portugal
- Canada Post is the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels and personal items internationally to Portugal (see Canada Post shipping options below).
- Market dominant carriers, such as UPS, FedEx have crazy high base pricing. Discounted shipping can be obtained via "comparison quotes reseller sites" but discounted retail can still be expensive and such sites often lack support and logistics expertise and import options.
- Jet's logistics professionals will personally respond to your inquiry within 1 business day sharing our expertise and helping you find the right solution (we freely recommend alternative carriers and methods that may better suite your needs). Ask Jet.
- Ecommerce shippers usually need a much lower cost than can be provided by traditional shipping methods and need direct shipping solutions (visit our ecommerce page).
This post provides a deeper dive and explores of the main elements of international shipping between Canada and Portugal:
- Common carrier options shipping to Portugal from Canada
- Shipping terms to Portugal duty paid or unpaid?
- Clearance process for parcels imported to Portugal from Canada
- IOSS and payment of VAT for ecommerce imports to Portugal and EU
- Review of CETA and preferential duty free import
- Common carrier options for shipping TO Canada from Portugal
- Import to Canada for goods shipped from Portugal
- Common Canadian import fees for shipments from Portugal
- Duty free CETA import to Canada for qualifying Portugal origin goods
- Canadian customs assessment and revenue management (CARM)
- Shipping Canadian Shopify Orders to Portugal and the EU
- Shipping from Portugal to the USA and Canada
- Additional resources to review for shipping from Canada and shipping to Canada
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is for general information only and is not intended to, constitute legal and/or tax advice. Producers, shippers, exporters, importers should confirm their processes with their customs brokers, carriers and regulating authorities. All liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this site are hereby expressly disclaimed. The content on this posting is provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.
Carrier Options for Shipping Portugal from Canada
Shipping to Portugal from Canada via Canada Post
Canada Post is the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels from Canada to Portugal. Shipments sent via Canada Post are imported and delivered in Portugal via CTT Correos de Portugal.
Canada Post Parcel Delivery Options to Portugal include:
- Canada Post Small Packet to Portugal: Surface, Air and "tracked packet"
Canadian Parcel post shipping Portugal from Canada parcel post
- Canada Post International Parcel to Portugal: Surface
- Canada Post Xpresspost Service to Portugal: Delivery in 1 to 2 weeks
Shipping Parcels to Portugal via FedEx Canada and UPS Canada
FedEx and UPS are North America's largest carriers and, along with DHL, offer reliable express delivery from Canada to Portugal.
FedEx and UPS shipping options to Portugal from Canada include:
- International shipping express priority air to Portugal
- International economy air shipping to Portugal
Need a comparison shipping quote to Portugal? See required information below
Shipping Portugal from Canada via Purolator Courier
Purolator is Canada's leading domestic carrier and offers international shipping options to Portugal. Purolator partners utilizes partner carriers, such as UPS for their international parcel shipping. Purolator is a division of Canada Post.
Shipping Portugal fromCanada via Jet Worldwide
Jet Worldwide is a trusted brand that has been providing international shipping solutions for over 35 years
Jet Worldwide offers options for shipping between Canada and Portugal for parcels, pallets and online orders
- Jet Worldwide offers transparency, logistics support and we are not shy about recommending alternative solutions as necessary. Contact Jet's Logistics Team.
For a quote for shipping online orders, provide details including shipping volume, item(s) being shipped, average value and weight of each parcel. The more details the better :).
Shipping Terms to Consider When Shipping to Portugal
The default option for shipping internationally from Canada is delivery duty unpaid. Common carriers use the term EXW which essentially assigns all import related costs (duty, taxes, and other fees) to the receiver/ importer. Shippers from Canada can choose to pay the import fees on behalf of the receiver via a Delivery Duty Paid (DDP) options that many carriers offer.
The disadvantage of paying import fees on behalf of the receiver is that the bulk of the import fees are often from a Portugals value added tax (VAT) that the importing business may otherwise be able to claim back.
Notes on parcel clearance for shipments to Portugal sent from Canada
Goods shipped to Portugal must be accompanied by an invoice for customs or other supporting documents.
With the European Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CETA) many Canada origin goods sent to Portugal can be afforded preferential duty free clearance.
Portuguese Customs generally follow the clearance processes and guidelines of other European Union countries.
- Valuation of duty and vat is based on the CIF value: The total of Cost, Insurance and Freight).
- Most items imported to Portugal are subject to Value Added Tax (currently 23%) which is calculated on the sum of the CIF value plus duty.
VAT Rules for Import to Portugal and the European Union
All goods imported to the EU are subject to VAT. E-commerce shipments valued under EUR 150 can be imported via One-Stop Shop (IOSS) processes that allow sellers and online marketplaces to charge VAT at the point of sale and remit it directly to the authorities.
For details on IOSS and the otherEU’s VAT rules, visit: Publications Office of the European Union.
Duty Free Status under CETA for goods imported from Canada to Portugal
Country origin rules are associated with factors used to determine if the product is eligible for preferential duty free treatment under CETA. The good news for shippers is that CETA rules don’t require a formal certificate in order to obtain tariff benefits. A declaration on the invoice or any other commercial document accompanying the shipment is enough.
The CETA country of origin declaration has a specific wording, which is fairly straight forward (check with up to date regulations before shipping).
Clearance of consignments from Portugal to Canada
Consignments imported from Portugal to Canada are subject to duty and taxes. Most imports valued under CAD 20 can be cleared duty-free and tax-free. Shipments under CAD 3 300 can be imported under Courier Low-Value Shipment (CLVS) processes.
Consignments containing Portugal origin goods may benefit from preferential duty free entry under the CETA free trade agreement (see below).
- Up to CAD 20 and under: duty- and tax-free
- Duty and taxes apply when importing goods valued over CAD 20.
Common import fees for consignments shipped via air to Canada can include duty, taxes and import fees.
Shipping from Portugal TO Canada
The common carrier shipping options from Portugal to Canada include Portuguese Post (CTT) (imported and delivered by Canada Post), Jet DHL, FedEx and UPS.
FedEx and UPS Shipping Options from Portugal to Canada Include:
- International air express to Canada from Portugal
- International economy air shipping to Portugal
Simplified Origin Statement for Shipping Canada FROM Portugal
The value for duty amount for all of Canada's free trade agreements (including qualifying Portugal origin goods under CETA) for which the proof of origin / certificate of origin is waived was changed to $3,300 CAD in July 2020. This change was made to harmonize the regulations with the new NAFTA/ CUSMA.
For imports not exceeding $3,300 to Canada, the requirement for proof of origin is waived. The requirement on the importer to maintain records (for example, commercial invoice and B3) applies even if the CBSA does not require a certification of origin or if a requirement for a certification of origin has been waived.
CARM: CBSA Online Portal for Canadian Importers
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM) online portal streamlines the process of importing commercial goods to Canada.
Shipping Canadian Shopify Orders to Portugal and the EU
Jet Worldwide is developing international shipping solutions for Shopify, Canada's leading e-commerce platform. Building on Jet Worldwide’s decades of Canadian cross-border parcel shipping experience, our team is currently developing Shopify-integrated solutions for shipping to Portugal and the entire European Union, allowing businesses to “self-fulfill” their orders.
While orders online orders shipped to Portugal (and all Europe Union countries) valued under €150 (around CA$220) can be imported duty free, VAT will be assessed. See secton above or read our blog on payment of VAT for online orders shipped to Europe.
For updates on the latest international shipping solutions for Canadian online orders, connect with Jet Worldwide’s e-commerce team.
Shipping from Portugal to the USA
Companies and online sellers can benefit from shipping their orders direct to the USA - and via Canada. Canada and USA form an integrated North American logistics networks based on proximity, free trade, social and economic connections. Read more about section 321 processes and contact our team for assistance in direct shipping and logistics support to the USA.
Get a Shipping Quote Shipping between Portugal and Canada
Jet Worldwide makes it easy for companies seeking for spot quotes for economy air shipping between Portugal, EU and Canada.
The information required for a quote includes:
Your company name and contact details
Ship from Address
Ship To Address
Weight and dimensions of each piece
Item(s) being sent
If you are seeking pricing for regular shipping volumes, helpful details include actual and projected volume of shipments, item(s) commonly shipped, common shipment weight and dimensions, origin of shipments and and common destinations.
Learn more about Jet Worldwide
Reminder: The information in this post is for general information only. The content on this posting is provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.