Thailand is among Canada’s leading ASEAN trading partners with trade with Thailand totalling over $4 billion per year. Canada and Thailand’s cultural ties are made strong with tourism, thousands of Canadians living in Thailand and a growing number of Thai students studying Canadian Universities. Low cost parcel delivery from Thailand to Canada - and vice versa- plays an important role development of trade and shipping of online orders.
Jet Worldwide provides parcel and pallet air shipping betweenThailand from Canada.
Thailand is a key emerging market in Southeast Asia and Canada’s second-largest overall trading partner in the ASEAN region with bilateral trade totalling over $4 billion per year.
A few quick points to consider when shipping international between Canada and Thailand
- Canada Post is the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels and personal items to Thailand (see Canada Post international shipping options below).
- Market dominant carriers, such as UPS, FedEx have crazy high base pricing. Discounted shipping can be obtained via "comparison quotes reseller sites" but discounted retail can still be expensive and such sites often lack support, logistics expertise and ability to provide import services.
- Jet's logistics professionals will personally respond to your inquiry within 1 business day sharing our expertise and helping you find the right solution (we freely recommend alternative carriers and methods that may better suite your needs). Ask Jet.
- Ecommerce shippers usually need a much lower cost than can be provided by traditional shipping methods and need direct shipping solutions (visit our ecommerce page).
This post provides a deeper dive and explores of the main elements of international shipping between Canada and Thailand:
- Carrier shipping options from Canada to Thailand
- Information needed for shipping quote between Thailand and Canada
- Parcel clearance for Canadian parcels imported to Thailand
- Common carrier shipping options for shipping FROM Thailand to Canada
- Canadian Import Clearance for goods shipped from Thailand
- Canadian customs assessment and revenue management (CARM)
- Shopify and shipping online orders from Canada to Thailand
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is for general information only and is not intended to, constitute legal and/or tax advice. Producers, shippers, exporters, importers should confirm their processes with their customs brokers, carriers and regulating authorities. All liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this site are hereby expressly disclaimed. The content on this posting is provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.
Options for Shipping: Thailand from Canada
Parcel Shipping to Thailand via Canada Post
Canada Post is the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels and personal items to Thailand. Packages shipping via Canada Post to Thailand are imported and delivered by Thailand Post (the state owned provider of postal services in Thailand).
Canada Post shipping options for delivery to Thailand Include;
- Canada Post Small Packet International Surface and Air to Thailand
Shipping to Thailand from Canada Post parcel post
- Canada Post International Parcel to Thailand: Surface Uncertain delivery time
- Canada Post Xpresspost International to Thailand: Delivery within 2 weeks
Shipping Thailand from Canada via FedEx and UPS
FedEx and UPS are the largest carriers in North America and, along with DHL, offer dependable international express services from Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa and all of Canada to Bangkok and across Thailand.
FedEx and UPS Canada Shipping Options betweenThailand from Canada:
- International Priority express shipping Thailand
- International Economy Air from Canada toThailand
Delivery to Thailand via Purolator Courier
Purolator Courier, a subsidiary of Canada Post, offers international parcel delivery from Canada to Thailand via partners, such as UPS Canada. Purolator is a division of Canada Post.
Delivery between Thailand and Canada via Jet Worldwide
- Jet Worldwide: A trusted brand offering international shipping for over 35 years!
- Jet Worldwide offers options for shipping between Thailand and Canada for parcels, pallets, and online orders
- Jet Worldwide offers transparency and logistics support. We are not shy to recommend alternative options that are better suited for your needs. Contact Jet's Logistics Team.
For a quote for shipping online orders, regular volumes and logistics support; provide details including shipping volume, item(s) being shipped, average value and weight of each parcel. The more details the better :).
Thailand and other Asian shipping destinations are popular for Canadian e-commerce merchants using on-line shopping platforms including Shopify, Big Commerce, Wix and other sites. Canada Post offers discounts via such e-commerce shipping platforms and is the lowest cost choice for small parcels.
Jet Worldwide offers low-cost parcel delivery from Canada to Thailand larger parcels shipped from Canadian e-commerce parcels.
Customs Clearance for Goods sent from Canada
General customs clearing procedures for both imports and exports in Thailand require the submission of a Customs’ export entry form or import entry form. The form should be accompanied by standard shipping documents.
Some products may require an import/export license and/or authorization from relevant agencies. Restricted items for import to Thailand include:
- Food products (processed or unprocessed)
- medical devices
- healthcare products and cosmetics
- hazardous substances, animals, and some agricultural products
Thailand has already eliminated its requirement of a certificate of origin for information technology imports pursuant to the WTO Information Technology Agreement.
Thailand customs assessed duty and taxes on the CIF value (Cost of the goods being imported plus the cost for transportation and insurance). Thailand uses the Harmonized System HS codes to assess the rate of duty.
- Most express shipments to Thailand from Canada valued under 1,500 THB (around $60 CAD) can be imported free of duty.
- Value added tax (VAT) are is added to the CIF value plus duty. The standard VAT rate is 10% but is subject to change during certain periods (for example 7% for much of 2020).
Duties can be substantial in Thailand with fashion item, for example, facing a 30% duty and most electronics subject to a 21% duty.
CPTPP and ASEAN: Canada and Thailand
Canada is not part of ASEAN and Thailand is not part of CPTPP. However, Thailand has expressed interest in joining CP-TPP and Canada trading to all countries in South East Asia will continue to grow.
Carrier Options for Shipping FROM Thailand to Canada
The options for shipping from Thailand to Canada include the Thailand Post (the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels), Jet DHL, and North America's mega carriers FedEx and UPS.
FedEx and UPS shipping options from Thailand to Canada Include:
- International air express air shipping from Thailand
- International economy/ deferred air shipping to Canada from Thailand
Clearance of consignments from Thailand to Canada
Consignments imported from Thailand to Canada are subject to duty and taxes. Most imports valued under CAD 20 can be cleared duty-free and tax-free. Shipments under CAD 3 300 can be imported under Courier Low-Value Shipment (CLVS) processes.
- Up to CAD 20 and under: duty- and tax-free
- Duty and taxes apply when importing goods valued over CAD 20.
Duty Free Clearance Canadian goods to Thailand under ASEAN
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations, ASEAN, is an association of major Asian countries (excluding China) that promotes economic growth via duty relief and easier cross border processing. The ASEAN Charter and processes have legal effect the 10 ASEAN Member States.
Shipments shipped from Canada are not eligible for preferential treatment under ASEAN provisions (as Canada is not a member of ASEAN).
CARM: CBSA Online Portal for Canadian Importers
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM) online portal streamlines the process of importing commercial goods to Canada.
Get a Shipping Estimate for delivery between Thailand and Canada
Jet Worldwide makes it easy for companies seeking for spot quotes for economy air shipping between Thailand and Canada.
The information required for a quote includes:
- Your company name and contact details
- Ship from Address
- Ship To Address
- Weight and dimensions of each piece
- Item(s) being sent
For a quote for shipping online orders, provide details including shipping volume, item(s) being shipped, average value and weight of each parcel. The more details the better :).
Reminder: The information in this post is for general information only. The content on this posting is provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.