Sweden’s economy of over $100 billion per year presents a great opportunity for Canadian companies. The Canadian-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) and online platforms (such as Shopify) provides further opportunities for Canadian-Swedish economic cooperation and growth.
A few quick points to consider when shipping international between Canada and Sweden
- Canada Post is the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels and personal items to Sweden (see Canada Post international shipping options below).
- Market dominant carriers, such as UPS, FedEx have crazy high base pricing. Discounted shipping can be obtained via "comparison quotes reseller sites" but discounted retail can still be expensive and such sites lack support, logistics expertise and ability to import.
- Jet's logistics professionals will personally respond to your inquiry within 1 business day sharing our expertise and helping you find the right solution. Ask Jet.
- Ecommerce shippers usually need a much lower cost than can be provided by traditional shipping methods and need direct shipping solutions (visit our ecommerce page).
This post provides a deeper dive and explores of the main elements of international shipping between Canada and Sweden:
- Swedish customs clearance considerations when shipping from Canada
- European EU Canada CETA duty free statement for Canada origin goods
- Canadian carrier delivery options for shipping to Sweden
- Information for shipping to Canada from Sweden
- Canadian import fees for goods imported from Sweden
- Simplified Duty Free import to Canada for Swedish Origin Goods
- Shipping Canadian Shopify Orders to Sweden and the EU
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is for general information only and is not intended to, constitute legal and/or tax advice. Producers, shippers, exporters, importers should confirm their processes with their customs brokers, carriers and regulating authorities. All liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this site are hereby expressly disclaimed. The content on this posting is provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.
Swedish Customs Clearance for parcels shipped from Canada
Swedish customs assesses duty and taxes on the CIF value (Cost of the goods being imported plus the cost for transportation and insurance). Swedish Customs uses the Harmonized System's HS Codes to assess the rate of duty. Goods to Sweden must be accompanied by a commercial invoice.
The Value Added Tax (VAT) in Sweden is applied to shipments from Canada. The VAT in Sweden is 25%. Under Swedish law, the VAT is charged from the first krona when making purchases from Canada (and all non-EU countries).
In addition to duty and the VAT, carriers charge a fee to cover their pre-payment and administrative costs. For example, Postnord often charges an administrative fee of 125 Kronor (around $19 CAD).
Canadian shippers can choose to pay the import fees, duty and taxes on behalf of the receiver in Sweden using our Delivery Duty Paid Service.
Shipping Terms to Consider When Shipping to Sweden
The default option for shipping internationally from Canada is Delivery Duty Unpaid (DDU). Common carriers use the term Ex-Works (EXW) which essentially assigns all import related costs (duty, taxes, and other fees) to the receiver/importer. Shippers from Canada can choose to pay the import fees on behalf of the receiver via a Delivery Duty Paid (DDP) options that many carriers offer. See our blog on IncoTerms and shipping terms for packages and online orders.
The disadvantage of paying import fees on behalf of the receiver is that the bulk of the import fees are often from a Value Added Tax that the importing business may otherwise be able to claim back.
Duty Free Clearance when shipping Canadian goods to Sweden under CETA
Country of origin rules are associated with factors used to determine if the product is eligible for preferential duty free treatment under the CETA. The good news for shippers is that CETA rules don’t require a formal certificate in order to obtain tariff benefits. A declaration on the invoice or any other commercial document accompanying the shipment is enough.
The CETA country of origin declaration has a specific wording, which is fairly straight forward (check with up to date regulations before shipping).
CETA Country of Origin Declaration
As mentioned above, there is no Certificate of Origin / COO required for goods shipped from Canada under the CETA. An origin declaration can be shown on the commercial invoice. If shown on a separate document, the invoice number and other shipping information should be referenced.
When an invoice lists separate items, the declaration of origin must clearly identify the goods for which preferential duty treatment is requested. Canada customs/ CBSA recommends that the origin declaration states “Canada/EU” as per footnote 3 of the declaration. It is best to check with the local customs to understand their preferences are met.
Shipping packages to Sweden via Canada Post
Canada Post offers low cost delivery for individuals shipping small parcels to Sweden. Packages sent via Canada Post are imported to Sweden and delivered by PostNord Sverige (the postal group of both Denmark and Sweden).
Canada Post Delivery Services to Sweden Include
Options for shipping small parcels to Sweden via Canada Post
- Canada Post Small Packet to Sweden: Surface, Air and "tracked packet"
- Canada Post Parcel Delivery to Sweden: Surface/ Uncertain delivery time
- Canada Post Xpresspost Shipping to Sweden: 1 week delivery
Shipping packages to Sweden via FedEx and UPS Canada
FedEx and UPS are the largest private parcel carriers in North America that offer, along with DHL, reliable international express delivery from Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa and all of Canada to Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmo and across Sweden.
FedEx and UPS Canada shipping options to Sweden Include
- International express air shipping to Sweden
- International economy air delivery to Sweden
- Get a comparison quote shipping Sweden from Canada
- Jet Worldwide: A trusted brand offering international shipping for over 35 years!
- Jet Worldwide offers options for shipping between Sweden and Canada for parcels, pallets, and online orders
- Jet Worldwide offers transparency and logistics support. We are not shy to recommend alternative options that are better suited for your needs. Contact Jet's Logistics Team.
For a quote for shipping online orders, provide details including shipping volume, item(s) being shipped, average value and weight of each parcel. The more details the better :).
Delivery to Sweden via Purolator Courier
Purolator Courier, a subsidiary of Canada Post, offers international package shipping services from Canada to Sweden via partners, such as UPS.
Shipping from Sweden to Canada
The options for shipping from Sweden to Canada include PostNord, DHL, FedEx and UPS. Jet Worldwide provides shipping options from Sweden to Canada for parcels, pallets, and online orders. Goods imported to Canada from Sweden may benefit from duty free entry under Canada EU free trade agreement, CETA. Otherwise, all goods valued over CA$20 are subject to duty and taxes.
Common Canadian Import Fees for Shipments from Sweden
Common import fees for consignments shipped via air to Canada can include duty, taxes and carrier disbursement fees.
Proof of origin requirements under Canada's free trade agreements
The value for duty amount for all of Canada's free trade agreements (including CETA) for which the proof of origin / certificate of origin is waived was changed to $3,300 CAD in July 2020 (to harmonize the regulations with the new NAFTA/ CUSMA).
For imports not exceeding $3,300 to Canada, the requirement for proof of origin is waived. The requirement on the importer to maintain records (for example, commercial invoice and B3) applies even if the CBSA does not require a certification of origin or if a requirement for a certification of origin has been waived.
Shipping Canadian Shopify Orders to Sweden and the EU
Jet Worldwide is building international shipping solutions for Shopify, Canada's leading e-commerce platform. Building on Jet Worldwide’s decades of Canadian cross-border parcel shipping experience, our team is currently developing Shopify-integrated solutions for shipping to Sweden and the entire European Union, allowing businesses to “self-fulfill” their orders.
For updates on the latest international shipping solutions for Canadian online orders, connect with Jet Worldwide’s e-commerce team.
Getting a quote for shipping between Sweden and Canada
Jet Worldwide gives access to all companies seeking for spot quotes between Canada, Sweden, EU -North America for parcels, pallets, online orders.
Information required for a quote includes:
- Your company name and contact details
- Ship from Address
- Ship To Address
- Weight and dimensions of each piece
- Item(s) being sent
For a quote for shipping online orders and regular volume, provide details including shipping volume, item(s) being shipped, average value and weight of each parcel. The more details the better :).
REMINDER: The information in Jet Worldwide online content, including this post, is for general information only, provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.