Tennessee has a strong economic connection with Canada and the implementation of the North American Free Trade Agreement USMCA/ CUSMA brings greater duty free shipping to Canada from Tennessee companies and online retailers.
Jet Worldwide helps Tennessee companies connect with Canadian suppliers and customers.
Disclaimer: The information in Jet Worldwide online content, including this post, is for general information only and is not intended to, constitute legal and/or tax advice. Producers, shippers, exporters, importers should confirm their processes with their customs brokers, carriers and regulating authorities. All liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this site are hereby expressly disclaimed. The content on this posting is provided “as is”; no representations are made that the content is error-free.
Understanding Canadian Import Fees for your shipments to Canada from Tennessee.
Confused by the import fees to Canada? No worries, we are here to help. Even with the USMCA/ CUSMA free trade agreement, many consignments imported to Canada are subject to import duty and taxes.
Shipping from the USA ≠ USA origin goods
While goods made in the USA can benefit from preferential duty free entry under USMCA/CUSMA provisions, this benefit does not extend to goods “shipped from the USA to Canada.” Goods shipped from the USA will benefit from duty free entry if they are shipped courier and valued under CA$150. See graphic below.
Goods shipped from Tennessee USA to Canada are subject to the following fees:
- Duty: Consignments shipped via courier to Canada valued above CA$150 are subject to duty.
- Tax: Canada imports are subject to both federal and provincial sales tax
- Entry Preparation Fee: Consignments shipped via FedEx or UPS Ground are subject to an entry preparation fee.
- Carrier disbursement fee: All carriers charge a fee related to the payment of duty and taxes on behalf of the receiver. This is often referred to as a disbursement fee.
Below, we provide an extended explanation related to shipping to Canada from Florida and all the USA. Feel free to contact our team if you need further information or a shipping quote (see below information required for a shipping quote to Canada)
Common Carrier Shipping Options from Tennessee to Canada
Besides the LTL carriers, the most common shipping options when shipping to Canada from Tennessee includes mega carriers UPS and FedEx (who offer both ground and express) as well as the USPS (the preferred option for individuals shipping small parcels to Canada). Each carrier is explained in more detail below.
Jet Worldwide provides LTL and economy air express shipping from Tennessee to Canada. Contact Jets Canadian Logistics Team.
Low cost parcel shipping from Tennessee to Quebec and all Canada: This blog Explores the Tennessee shipping options for delivery to Canada our explains the Canadian customs clearance processes.
As part of the USMCA, Canada has raised their low value duty threshold ( de minimis threshold) to $150 CAD (around $110 USD). Local sales taxes will still apply (but often times, businesses can claim this charge back). This higher duty free threshold helps small businesses and e-commerce merchants in Tennessee ship to Canadian customers.
New NAFTA/ CUSMA/ USMCA: Duty Free to Canada packages from Tennessee
- Duty free and tax free entry for most US parcels shipped courier valued under CA$40
- Duty free entry for most US parcels shipped courier valued under CA$150
- Simplified "Certification of Origin" for shipments shipped courier valued under CA$3,300
Jet Worldwide provides shipping optionsTennessee to Canada
Discounted LTL Quotes: Canada fromTennessee
Jet's team can generate rates for LTL and large packages over 150 lbs. for shipping Canada from Tennessee as well as partnering with the leading parcel carriers - and offering reverse logistics.
Memphis and Nashville to Canada Economy Express.
Often, there are some goods that literally need to taken from the truck and shipped express. Jet can facilitate this via low expedited air shipping for transit from Tennessee to Canada as well as local warehousing for on demand shipping
Delivery betweenTennessee and Canada via Jet Worldwide
- Jet Worldwide: A trusted brand offering international shipping for over 35 years!
- Jet Worldwide offers options for shipping betweenTennessee and Canada for parcels, pallets, and online orders.
- Jet Worldwide offers transparency and logistics support. We are not shy to recommend alternative options that are better suited for your needs.
- For individuals shipping small parcels, the preferred options are often via USPS.
SEE SECTION BELOW: INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR A SHIPPING QUOTE
Shipping Options To Canada fromTennessee
USPS (Canada Post), FedEx and UPS
Shipping from Tennessee to Canada via USPS
Canada is the largest international destination for US Postal parcels. USPS offers a great choice for individuals shipping to Canada. Among the most popular US Postal post options from Tennessee is the International Flat Rate Boxes to Canada.
Different duty assessment for goods shipped via USPS versus Courier (see above regarding new USMCA/CUSMA duty free thresholds).
For a shipments shipped via USPS for import via Canada Post, duty is assessed differently than for parcels shipped via parcel carriers/ courier:
- CA $20 (around US$14.75) and under: duty and tax free
- Above CA $20 duties and taxes apply
USPS Flat rate boxes to Canada - Delivery within 2-3 weeks
Up to 20 pounds
- Priority Mail International Large Flat Rate Box
- Priority Mail International Medium Flat Rate Box
Up to 4 Pounds
- Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box
- Priority Mail International DVD Flat Rate priced box
- Priority Mail International Large Video Flat Rate priced box
For e-commerce sellers using Shopify, USPS offers value for small parcels. Contact Jet for shipping large parcels from the US to Canada.
USPS Global Express Guaranteed to Canada
- Delivery via USPS partner FedEx Canada
- Delivery in 1-3 business days
- Can be less expensive than using FedEx Directly
USPS Priority Mail Express International
- Delivery in 3-5 business days to Canada
USPS Priority Mail International to Canada
- Delivery in 2-3 weeks to Montreal, Quebec, Toronto and major cities
- Estimated average cost varies with weight
USPS shipments from Tennessee are imported to Canada and delivered via Canada Post.
Canada Post has strong domestic capabilities with a commanding market share for at home deliveries.
Importing parcels from Tennessee to Canada via Canada Post
All parcels mailed to Canada are potentially subject to duty and/or taxes. . Canadian Customs (CBSA) collects provincial sales taxes (PST) and Harmonized Sales Taxes (HST) according to the province of residence on most taxable imports valued at over CA$40. See note above on new duty free threshold under USMCA/ New NAFTA.
Dutiable and taxable items mailed to Canada are subject to a handling fee of CA$9.95 per dutiable or taxable parcel. If charges are applied, the parcel will be delivered along with a CBSA Invoice (E14). Canada Post collects the fees on behalf of the CBSA and accepts payment online via credit card and other methods.
For those who have read about the Free Trade agreement between Canada and the USA (namely NAFTA and USMCA), it often comes as a surprise that their shipments are subject to duty. To qualify for duty free entry under NAFTA, the goods must be accompanied by a NAFTA Certificate of Origin.
Shipping parcels to Canada fromTennessee and USA via Jet Worldwide
Jet Worldwide has been providing innovative shipping solutions, enduring partnerships and transparency for over 35 years.
- For a Shipping Quote: Provide address details, shipment weight and dimensions, item(s) being shipped and value.
- For companies shipping regular volume, ecommerce and logistics support: Provide a basic outline or simply request a call back.
- Respect: Jet Worldwide will respond to your inquiry within 1 business day. We do not share, sell or store data and use it only to best answer your specific inquiry.
Note: For individuals shipping small parcels and personal items (including cell phones, tablets and laptops) we recommend parcel post/ post office options.
Sending Gifts fromTennessee to Quebec and Canada via USPS
The personal connections between Tennessee and Canada are stronger than ever thanks to shared employees, employers, universities and tourists. Gifts between individuals can be considered duty and tax exempt, not otherwise restricted and valued under CA$60. To qualify as tax exempt, the gift must be sent to the recipient personally and include a card or other notice indicating that it is a gift. Advertising material and alcohol cannot be cleared as tax exempt gifts.
Shipping from Tennessee to Canada via FedEx or UPS
FedEx and UPS are by far the most dominant carriers in North America and have extensive operations throughoutTennessee (especially FedEx!). They also have a sizeable presence in Canada and, along with Purolator, are market leaders in the Canadian Market.
The “shipping from USA to Canada offer” via FedEx and UPS are similar. Both companies offer air express delivery, economy air delivery and ground delivery.
FedEx USA shipping options Tennessee to Canada Include:
- FedEx International Priority to Canada: 1-2 business days
- FedEx International Economy Canada: 2-3 business days
- Get a comparison quote for economy express shipping to Canada
- FedEx International Ground Canada from Tennessee: Up to 6 business days. See graphic above for sample rates for entry preparation of ground shipments to Canada that may apply.
UPS USA Tennessee shipping options to Canada Include:
- UPS Worldwide Express: Morning delivery to main cities
- UPS Worldwide Saver: End of day delivery to main cities
- UPS Worldwide Expedited: 2 Day delivery to main cities
- Get a comparison quote shipping from Tennessee to Canada
- UPS Standard to Canada: Up to 6 days Ground. See graphic above for sample rates for entry preparation of ground shipments to Canada that may apply.
Clearance and Entry Fees to Canada via UPS and FedEx
Carrier clearance fees in Canada vary by the service type. Jet can help Tennessee shippers minimize these fees through single entry consolidated entry. Jet Worldwide can receive and store shipments from Memphis, Nashville , Tennessee in our Montreal facilities for on-demand distribution within Quebec and throughout Canada.
Typically, there are three elements to standard parcel clearance:
- No charge for express shipments
- Charge for ground shipments based on value of shipment (see below)
- Calculated using the H.S. classification and can be as high as 20% for clothing
- Many are surprised to learn of duties and how NAFTA country of origin duty free is rarely used for parcel shipments from the USA to Canada.
- GST, HST, PST: Sales tax is applied based on destination of parcel
Prepayment of duty fees
- If duty and taxes are paid, FedEx and UPS charge for “prepayment” of these fees.
- The charge for payment is usually around 3% of the amount prepaid with minimum charge of between CA$7 and CA$15.
In general, express shipments to Canada are not charged an entry preparation fee by the carrier. However, ground shipments sent via FedEx and UPS to Canada are subject to an entry preparation fee.
The cost advantage of shipping parcels from Texas to Quebec via ground service is diluted by the Canadian clearance cost and shipping delay.
Exact FedEx ground and UPS ground entry preparation fees can be found online and can be negotiated for high volume shippers.
For Tennessee companies with regular volume to Canada, it may be best to establish a high volume parcel import and distribution process. This type of “zone skipping” has the added benefit of lower per shipment clearance cost- especially for shipping from Tennessee to Montreal and Quebec. Tennessee companies can establish themselves as a foreign importer of record and do one consolidated entry for many individual parcels.
Jet Worldwide works with Tennessee shippers to find shipping solutions from Memphis, Nashville Tennessee to Canada
Getting a quote for shipping betweenTennessee and Canada.
Jet Worldwide gives access to all companies seeking shipping quotes between Canada and Tennessee for parcels, pallets, LTL and online orders. For a quote, please provide:
- Your company name and contact details
- Ship from Address
- Ship To Address
- Weight and dimensions of each piece
- Item(s) being sent
For a quote for shipping online orders, provide details including shipping volume, item(s) being shipped, average value and weight of each parcel. The more details the better :).
The most efficient routing for regular parcel flows is via consolidating parcel volumes for a single shipment for single entry cross border entry. After clearance, the goods can be transferred to a Canadian domestic carrier for delivery across Canada. Get information from our Canadian team on shipping your American parcels to Canada.
Shipping fromTennessee to Canada for Quebec and Canadian companies
There is a demand from Canadian companies who are looking for cost effective solutions for receiving goods from Tennessee suppliers.
Canadian storage and distribution
For specific items, many shippers inTennessee can find it cost effective to store and distribute their goods stored in Canada for on demand distribution. For information on Canadian warehouse solutions, contact our parcel logistics team.
Sending Shopify parcels from Tennessee to Canada
Canada is the largest international market for most US based e-commerce merchants using on-line shopping platforms including Shopify, Big Commerce, Wix and other sites. USPS offers discounts via such e-commerce shipping platforms and is the lowest cost choice for small parcels.
Many shopify orders to Canada can now be imported duty free thanks to CUSMA free trade provisions.
USPS offers a low cost to Canada for shipments under 10 to 20 pounds.